Pages

Saturday, January 9, 2010

A year of firsts

I have never "blogged" before. Just one more thing to learn about and experience in this new year.
It is only January 9th and I have already committed to three new ventures. I will be participating in my first half marathon on January 17th in Arizona. I have signed up for this summer's Boulder 70.3 (Half Ironman) race and am now finding myself doing the "blogging" thing. No wonder I am tired! :)
While the journey to this summer's 70.3 race is just beginning, it took the commitment to the half marathon to convince myself that I could even sign up for the Boulder race. A half Ironman consists of a 1.2 mile swim, a 56 mile bike ride and a half marathon (13.1 miles). For the record, I am not a runner. I find it the most painful of the three sports of triathlon. I am slow and my form leaves a lot to be desired. While I am learning to dislike it less and embrace it more, it is an ongoing process. I am fine with the fact that I will never be fast. I am fine with the fact that most people who I compete against will be faster runners then me. I am not fine with my current ability and speed and am determined to improve in this area however painful that might be. Yikes!
Beyond the whole running thing, is the fear of racing itself. I am always a bundle of nerves before a race and even months leading up to it. Being nervous for months is not an easy state to be in. Adding three races in Boulder (the mecca of triathlon) where I will be amongst the pros and elites just adds to my fear. Yet I continue to take on these challenges. Somewhere deep inside I must either be a glutton for punishment or have a belief that "I can do this". Probably a little of both.

No comments:

Post a Comment