Pages

Sunday, June 6, 2010

Elephant Rock 62 Mile Course

This has been quite a weekend!
First the triathlon on Friday, a run on Saturday followed by my first "ice bath" (I didn't use ice though)

and now the completion of the 62 mile course which is part of a huge bike festival that takes place every year. There are between 7000 and 8000 people who participate in this event that offers different ride distances from a seven mile ride to a century ride.
We had great weather but the winds made for some very challenging miles. It was really nice to be able to stop at an aid station, grab a snack and some water, hit the port-a-potty and not worry about the time I am losing.  62 miles is a long way and I couldn't help but think about how this ride would feel with a swim and run attached.  I took my road bike and hit a new max speed of 48.4 miles an hour! Scary but lots of fun!!!

10 comments:

  1. sounds like a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG 48 mph!!!!! Sounds like a great day! I thought of you and wondered how the heat was. Cute ice bath!!! You may want another tonight! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful pictures. Did the thought go through your mind that 50 mph was real close and you had to choose to go for it or not?

    What was the speed limit there? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, I think I remember looking at the speedometer and trying to get to 50 miles per hour. If I had had my aero bars on the road bike I just might have made it. Not sure what the speed limit was at that stretch but we had the road to ourselves (basically) so I went for it. I did obey the other speed limits though :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I'm so jealous that you did EROCK! My husband did the century today and he said the wind was pretty bad too. Congrats on a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Boy, you had one busy and great weekend. Now it's time to relax for a few days. Right?!?!?!
    Congratulations

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an epic ride! You kicked butt on that one and are brave too! I would have been scared of crashing, apparently, I don't need a bike to crash however! Cheers and keep up the excellent work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your are truely hardcore, tri, which you poduim and the next day a 62 mile ride!!! Nice!!!

    I have never come close to 48+mph, that must been a white knuckled rush

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome job on the ride!! The day after your tri too! WOW! 62 miles is a long way, but I can't help but be jealous of the conditions you rode in... compared to mine yesterday. hahah 48mph is speedy!

    ReplyDelete