Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Rough month

I feel like I have been away from everyone for so long.  This past month has been more then a bit tough. To make a long miserable story short, I had two dental implants inserted a month ago. One of them ended up getting infected and it took me three weeks of pain and trying to convince my dentist that something was wrong before I went to a different dentist who not only validated my pain but ended up removing the implant and doing a bone graft. I will spare you the gory details of this but both surgeries involved scalpels, drills, some other tools that look like the ones in a tool kit and stitches. The pain was debilitating at times but I am finally starting to see the light at the the end of the tunnel. The fact that I am still standing considering the amount of pain killers (which don't work) and antibiotics I have been on is a feat in itself.  I won't even get into the cost of all this but I can say that I am going after a dentist or two for a refund of some sort.
My training has suffered immensely. I haven't swam more then twice in a month due to the two rounds of stitches and my running has been minimal at best. I haven't ran at all in almost a week due to the most recent surgery (rise in blood pressure causes swelling and additional pain) and my cycling hasn't been that great either.  So here is the thing. I have an Olympic distance race this Sunday and feel very unprepared. I rode  the bike course on Sunday so I know I can get up the insane hill they are having us climb but my swim and run are going to be pathetic. I have even thought of not doing the race but am hopeful that I will feel much better by Sunday. I am also stubborn :)  I have a 70.3 race in August and I am very worried about that as well.  I guess I just need to take one day at a time. 
In other news, I did manage to ride the MS 150 during all of this. It was very inspirational and totally worth doing.  I hope to do it again sometime when I am feeling better.
Here are some pics from the MS 150.
This was at the start of the event. I just had to take a picture. Empty port a potties.. really???

Day one. The climb was at the end and the drugs were wearing off. At least that is my excuse for the look on my face.

I was really ready to be done but figured I would put on a happy face

The finish line! 

I hope all  is well with everyone. I hope to catch up on all your posts soon!


  1. I am so sorry to hear about all your pain. I hope that you heal soon! I have had jaw surgery so I know what you are going through and it is no fun at all!

    Nice pics from the MS 150. I would like to say that I saw you but I don't think that I did.

    Good luck at your race this weekend!

  2. Aw...I'm so sorry about your dental problems! I can only imagine how painful that must have been and must still be. If you decide to still do the Peak, just think of it as a training day for your 70.3 and don't stress about what you can and can't do for your swim and run.
    Nice job with the MS 150! I can't believe there were empty port-a-potties! Wow! :)

  3. Kathleen, Bummer about your oral problems, gosh I don't say that lightly as I too have a terrible history in that area. I feel your pain woman! You did well though to keep up some sort of training through all of this, I wish you tons of luck this coming weekend!

  4. I don't think "rough" even begins to describe your month! I would say you really HTFU to get through that ride. Pics are great and the empty is all I can say. :)

  5. OUCH!! What a month! I imagine it can only get better from here! Great pics!!